Name:
Location: Pensacola, Florida Panhandle

I have been making and designing jewelry since 1991, and it continues to be my passion to this day. Over the years, I have moved well beyond the simple stone wraps that I began with through experimenting with new techniques.

Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Horse Jewelry: Azalea Arabians Egyptian Event, Art Auction

I have been commissioned by Azalea Arabians to create a piece of jewelry for them for the upcoming Egyptian Event. The Egyptian event will be held in the Kentucky Horse Park in Lexington, Kentucky June 3rd through the 9th, 2007. The owners of Azalea Arabians will be donating this piece to the art auction held at the event. Since Azalea Arabians obviously specializes in the Arabian breed, and the event itself is celebrating the Egyptian horse a piece created with a genuine ancient Egyptian technique seems appropriate - and romantic. For those who are unfamiliar with the ancient Egyptian coil design, here is a picture of an embellished egyptian coil bracelet I submitted to the Year of Jewelry Project (Also known as the Four Seasons of Jewelry Project) in 2006. This one has a more modern flare, thanks in large part to being embellished with swarovski crystals and bali silver flower beads.




Upon the discovery of an ancient Egyptian tomb this design was discovered in the form of a necklace upon one of the royal mummies. I have always enjoyed using this technique knowing that it was the design of an Egyptain Artist from so many thousands of years ago. Amazing... to create such an effectual design that even artist thousands of years after your death still continue to utilize it. Now that really *is* a form of immortality in a sense. Too bad we do not know the name of the artist who offered such a timeless technique to us. His ... or her name is lost in the sands of time.

I need to order some serious lengths of copper wire as I would also like to create a jeweled Egyptian coil halter for some of their horses eventually... but that's a project for another day. Keep your eyes peeled. I will surely put a picture up of the finalized bracelet.

1 Comments:

Blogger Maz Simpson said...

I love the addition of the crystals - one of my favourite colour combinations too - so pretty! Interesting to hear about the history behind the design too, I'm sure one of those ancient egyptian princesses would have been proud to wear this one!

4:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home